Friday, May 29, 2009

6 months





Wow, I can't believe that Xavian is already 6 months (and five days). The past three months have just flown by. It's been a tough three months but I am so grateful that we have gotten to see Xavian turn 6 months.

Things I never thought I would have to do for, hear about or see my child go through before turning 6 months...

1. "You need to come to the hospital ASAP, your son has stopped breathing (but has been intubated)" Not the best way to tell a parent to come to the hospital (during rush hour).

2. Your son has a mass on his brain...this mass is cancer (less than 40% chance of curing)

3. giving daily shots (although Matt takes care of this one)

4. toxic chemicals being pushed into his blood stream

5. having a blood/platelet transfusion

6. having ulcers cover the inside of his mouth all the way down his GI

7. having a feeding tube put down his nose, bypassing his stomach into the intestine (I had to hold him down while this was done), and having to learn how to use the feeding pump to give him proper nutrition

8. losing his hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes

9. sleeping through the night for the first time in a hospital crib

10. having to remember what medicines to give and when (at one point we were giving him 7 different meds at one time)

11. having to clean, flush and properly take care of his central line

All these are things Matt and I are willing to go through to have Xavian with us today. Matt, Dante and I are so blessed to have him here with us.

Philppians 1:3-6

This path we are traveling along is all a part of God's plan for Xavian's life and the life of Matt and I as his parents. I am grateful that I get to call Xavian my son.



Xavian and Dante




Cousin Darnell comes for a visit



Darnell wants some of that food you are getting Xavian

I just heard from our nurse that the surgeon doesn't think Xavian needs surgery right now to remove the fluid. He does want to keep an eye on it though and wants to check him out before starting the third round of chemo. As of now that appointment is for June 11th. I will take him back to the clinic to have his counts checked though. Xavian is rolling from belly to back and back to belly now. He can just about sit up on his own. The only thing I am concerned about is that he isn't reaching for things yet. He will bring his hands to his mouth and eyes to check them out. And, of course he will push up on his arms when laying on his belly. Who knows, maybe I'm paranoid (I have reason to be). That's about all he will do with them right now. I'll have this conversation with the surgeon too. You can't understand how relieved I am that he isn't going to need a 2nd brain surgery right now. Although, I'd like to get the 3rd round over with I am super pumped about being home for such a long time.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and tell those babies you love them!

2 comments:

  1. What a way to put things in perspective for us parents. Thanks for sharing. Great blog and gorgeous babies!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cassie - The "brothers duo" make a handsome pair! I love seeing the photos. They are both growing so very fast. I look forward to seeing them both one day soon. And you and Matt too! I am praying for you all every day. Give all three of the guys a kiss & hug for me. Please know how very much I love you all!!! Love, Aunt Wanda

    ReplyDelete